Tuesday, October 04, 2005

How many children do I have again?

Last night we got home from our short trip down south to find that 'ada and Zinni had been stung by the bees hiding out in the wood pile. We know this because 'ada met the car with his usual, glazed-eye look that suggests a trip to the ER may be in our near future.

I asked him if he had taken his Benadryl yet, but he said he hadn't. Now I knew the ER was in our future. We spent the better part of the next three minutes arguing over 1/2 a Benadryl versus 2 Benadryl. This ties back to a couple of stories.

Derek is severely allergic to bug bites/bee stings thanks to an incident as a child involving a tree and his cousin Michael. Needless to say, Michael is less allergic to bee stings because his cousin let him get down out of the tree first, but they probably got 60 bee stings between them. It makes those of us who actually anticipate consequences of things very nervous.

So this leads to our cross country trip a couple of years ago. We were in one of the Dakotas (who knows which one, or was it Missouri???) when Derek got bit by ants. I didn't think anything of it until about a half hour later when he was unable to follow a conversation and wasn't even speaking anymore. This is when he decided to tell me about this whole allergy issue. Frantically I began looking for Benadryl, and when I found it, he only wanted to take a half of one.

K: Just take two.
D: I don't like how Benadryl makes me feel.
K: I imagine DEAD isn't very comfortable.
D: OK, I'll take one.
K: Are we having this conversation because I can't believe we are having this conversation? Take the damn Benadryl. You are a lunatic. Maybe I shouldn't marry you. Frankly, I'm not even entitled to your life insurance yet, so could you just take the Benadryl?

Believe it or not, this story gets better. But I think that is enough for today. Tune in tomorrow.

8 comments:

Foxy said...

ewww...were they fire ants?? those muthas can bite and cause blisters-they are vicious little suckers...can't wait to see what happens next! lol

YFGH..your friend ginny hammond said...

Kris..this is so serious..tell his father, get an epipen shot kit or whatever they call it..and remember what happened to Brian Underwood's dad!!!!!! So not funny!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Marmie! I was totally thinking of the same exact thing! You guys take care of this, OK? Talk to you later. You'll know--I'll be calling now. :)

eyes_only4him said...

oh i hate to be contiuned stories..i am very impatient..

who is brain underwood:)

momma of 2 said...

OMG - they need to carry a kit with them. It can be a very serious thing, unless of course they don't think being able to breath is important... can't wait to hear how this turns out.

Anonymous said...

I think "I imagine DEAD isn't very comfortable." is a phrase you may be using often in your future - for both of you "kids".....


PS - get Derek an Epi Pen. They are easy to use (I can even do it) and put one in your house and one in his truck.

missbhavens said...

Oooo...he seriously needs to carry an epi pen at all times. My new honey just informed me of a similar allergy to bees that left him blind for a few hours as a child and then proceeded to inform me that his epi is 1000 miles away. Nice. Men can be dopes.

Jaime said...

60 bee stings between TWO kids... is he now PETRIFIED of bees or just allergic? WOW. Maybe you should up that life insurance policy!