Thursday, July 07, 2005

The tenacity/stupidity of men

Derek's best friend/undercover lover Jorge lives out here on the West Coast and Derek has spent the last 5 days trying to make a plan to see him. They have known each other for about 30 years and have been best friends for the last 15 years. I brought it to Derek's attention on Saturday night when he was making plans for Sunday brunch that Jorge's wife was supposed to HAVE A BABY on that very day and perhaps making breakfast plans was not the most sensitive idea. We could blame this on Jorge, but he would sell his soul to the devil to see Derek so he obviously wasn't giving this too much thought.

Sure enough, Jorge calls on Sunday morning to say that his wife is having contractions so she doesn't feel like going to breakfast.

NO SHIT, SHERLOCK.

We go off to the barbeque and proceed to leave the cell in the car, unattended.

When I went out to the car at 4, I found 2 messages. The first was from Jorge at 10:47 a.m., saying that his wife's contractions had stopped and could we make a new plan? The second was a picture of his baby, sent at 2:40 p.m.

Why men continue to surprise me is beyond me.

10 comments:

Humor Girl said...

lol!! Typical! So, completely typical! You have to love them! ;)

Robin said...

Homer Simpson has nothing on them...

Katya Coldheart said...

my dad watched the cricket while my mother gave birth to my sister, he came in when all the pushing was over...it sums up men in general really...

:0)

Kristen said...

Here it is, girls. It was his SECOND baby. Of course we found out later that they were on the way to party when they went to the hospital instead. Apparently she wasn't too uncomfortable.

Memphis said...

We have to keep surprising you. Otherwise you might get bored with us and go looking for something else to do. It's all a matter of survival, really. See, we plan this shit.

Well, OK, no we don't. But don't tell anyone that I told you.

Katya Coldheart said...

flowers and candy, i'll be surprised if he comes home with an apology...

:0)

Anonymous said...

Really funny. Congrats to them. In regards to men and the arrival of a child, you know, that must be why there are tv's in birthing rooms of my hospital. While I go through the petocin, contractions, epidural, at least, he had the Yankee game and a sandwich to pull him through it all. :)

Leesa said...

That is hilarious!! Sounds just like my hub!!

Kristen said...

come to think of it, I would have been in a better mood if I could have watched a Yankee game during labor...

Kristen said...

steve, I can't believe you got that "we plan this" line out without laughing. Tell me you laughed.