Friday, May 20, 2005

Bodily functions and how someone else's is grosser than your own

I'm done with it. I realize that nobody wants to hear it and that I was determined to not be one of those mothers that spends a lifetime discussing bodily functions, but I don't think I can do it anymore. The pee, the poop and above all others, the spit up. It is so nasty. And why does it seem like I'm the only person that is grossed out so utterly and completely by my child?

Today I spent the day with my friend Adrian and her family to celebrate her graduation from GMU School of Nursing (you go, girl). Her aunt Renee was desperate to hold E.

KH: But he'll spit up on you.
R: I don't care.

What do you mean, you don't care? How can you not care that there will no longer be one inch of dry clothing on your body when you finally hand this child back to me?

Today he spit up Matrix style. As it came out of his mouth, I was so stunned I could not move. It made an arc to the side and then, wonder of all wonders, angled back and landed right in my cleavage. All 2 ounces. He smiled sweetly, but it didn't matter.

But I think that the best is yet to come. Yesterday I experienced something that can possibly be even grosser than E's neverending spit up.

Marelle's 18 month old, Elijah, is getting a couple of molars. With his teething came a cold.

MA: His snot is not green, it's yellow. I promise.

Guess who was looking through rose-colored glasses?

But the color wasn't what was so fascinating about Elijah's snot. It was the fact that his snot ran from his nose like Angel Falls. Just when you thought there could be no more fluid in his little body, the snot would run over his lip and down to his chin. In his parent's defense, they were on top of the situation as much as possible. His father Eliot followed him for the entire 4 hours he was here, and went through what seemed like at least 7 rolls of toilet paper, wiping that poor kid's nose.

No end in sight. I thought that maybe a wet/dry vac might be an option, but it seemed cruel in retrospect and probably could have ended a 20 year friendship if I had suggested it.

I hate vomit, but I'm guessing I'm going to hate boogers more.

Whose idea was this anyway?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it! Making me laugh like crazy!! The road home was rough, wet, and long. I was completely pissed off. My husband was about to be found dead. And, the only thing that kept me driving through damn NJ was the thought of having to wipe up those snot noses. No hell way!